Thursday, September 4, 2008

Kashmir or North East (NE) ????

My recent visit to my hometown- Guwahati (Asom) was an enthralling experience for me.The city seemed to me changing in a fast pace in the last few years. I still remember the days of Cotton College, where I completed my 12th grade in 2001. After that time, I am just a fellow traveler to the place once in a year, as now I am a part of busy corporate life where 'taking leave' is like the test of one's 'rhetorical skills'.

The whole city seemed to be renovated to suit the modern life style of 21st century. New shopping complexes, apartments, food outlets, branded showrooms is rife experience now there. Even the way people dress there seems to be quite different from our days. The wind of modernization has hit the city to the fullest. When at times we used to think as if we were not having much opportunity for 'coaching' institutes for competitive exams, now it has been solved. Whether students want to do IIT JEE, MBA preparation or any other competitive exam, the problem have been solved now with a number of good institutes mushrooming with their branches in Guwahati lately

Though the city has been going through a noticeable change from a long time, it has not lost its uniqueness. Thats the way a city should have the growth. It should always keep heritage with it wherever it goes in the path of growth.

The gateway to North East, Guwahati, still has its old flavor which I like the most. I am sanguine about one fact: The city is going to be the hub of opportunities if properly planned with the center taking special attention. Yeah, I do agree to the point that 'Terrorism' is undoubtedly the biggest problem of the region. But I argue with another fact : "Which city in India is now free of terrorist outfits?". We, the people of Asom, should try to change the outlook of outside people towards the state. Now It has been high time even ULFA (United Liberation Front of Asom) , must take rational decisions in every respect if they really want the state to grow instead of claiming some unreasonable demands of 'Independent Asom'. In this regard, Central Govt. also has to be more realistic and take special care of the ' Heaven in NE'.

Once I remember one incident which moved me a lot. A person asked me from where I am. I replied him giving a detailed description of Guwahati. The person's query to my explanation was quite disgusting (though I don't blame the person for that reason) : "Is Guwahati in India??". This is just a small incident I faced. There may be umpteen incidents which will knock at the hearts of NE people staying outside the State. Every people seem to be quite inquisitive if they know someone from NE. They seem to be always bewildered with various thoughts.

Who is responsible for such a situation I faced? -'Is this the common people of NE?' 'Are these the terrorist outfits having their strong base there?' or 'Is this the lackluster response of Center towards the region?'- I am no one to judge the whole scenario . But one thing is true , Terrorism always sprout from a situation where a group/section of people feel the similar frustrated situation of ' being left unattended in a party'.

In the same line of thought, I remember one article in NDTV.com by a columnist, which strongly put forward a very sensible and pragmatic question " If there is a bomb explosion or anything of that sort in Kashmir, the news comes in next day's newspapers in Front Page headlines.But if similar incident happens in NE,WHY it comes in "Tabloids"columns or may be some where in other pages."

Do we have any answer to this question?

3 comments:

KVSSNrao said...

Give the addresses of iit coaching institutes and their branches in Guwahati as well as in other parts of Assam

Manash said...

I am not sure of coaching institutes in other parts of Asom, yeah I do some good institutes in Guwahati like FIIT JEE and all. Though IIT Guwahati has some good initiatives for coaching in 'Institute of Engineers' in Panbazar, Guwahati..I think other coaching institutes are also located in Panbazar

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.